To say that one’s life changes with a cancer diagnosis is a truism, but it is understated. Your world as you once knew it also changes.

I now find myself dreaming less about the “big” things in life such as traveling and retirement because I don’t know if these will come to be. Instead, I’m focusing on the daily things in life that bring me joy. Many are simple things that are easily attainable and don’t rely on my state of health to appreciate.

Since my cancer diagnosis and then more so since placed in isolation on October 19, I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on my life. I spend many hours alone at home while my spouse works along with my adult children who have left home to make their own lives with their mates.

Today, I’m thinking positive thoughts and reflecting on things that bring me joy each day. Here is the beginning of a growing list that I have compiled of where I find joy in my life:


The Power of People

-My Family
-My extended family
-Friends
-Coworkers and colleagues
-Readers of my blog and the comments they send
-Cards, emails, presents, flowers and phone calls from these folks
-Family members who have come with me to chemo treatments and multiple medical
appointments
-Hugs from loved ones
-Baby giggles that shake their bodies
-The antics of little children
-Smiles on people’s faces as they greet you, even if you’re unknown to them
-Members of my cancer treatment team

Nature’s Nourishment

-Walks at Oak Hammock Marsh
-The mesmerizing effect of lakes and rivers that calm
-Sunrises and Sunsets
-Leaves changing color
-The first fat, fluffy flakes of snow
-Hoarfrost on trees
-The first buds of green in spring
-Summer gardens

Sensory Sensations

-(longing for) soothing scalp massages from my hairstylist Jen
-Flannel sheets
-Down comforters
-Bubble baths
-Massages
-New gel bead pillows that cradle my neck and shoulders, a gift from my sis-in-law
Theresa
-Running my fingers through my ½” of mostly white, kinky, baby textured fuzzy hair
that’s hugging my head as it starts to grow back
-The Sound of Music, my all time favorite childhood movie
-Music recordings that feature flute and harp
-Vintage jewellery
-Live symphony and ballet concerts
-My old sheepskin slippers
-The smell of freshly laundered clothing

Foodie Fixes

-A nightly cup of tea with my hubby and kids if they’re home
-Spending time in my renovated kitchen
-Fresh Figs (discovered earlier this fall)
-Smells of homemade baking
-Home made dinners that are gluten free, low in acid, and have had proper “chemo” food
handling procedures
-Hazelnut hot chocolate (a new discovery with chemo as a drink I can actually tolerate)
-Gluten free pumpkin pie tarts and chocolate chip cookies, treats from family members
who discovered them in a local neighborhood bakery (thanks sis’s Jen & Theresa)
-The Food Network and new recipes to try
-Farmer’s Markets and the array of locally grown fresh foods

It will be the joyful things in daily life that will continue to give me pleasure in this journey with cancer. I place one foot in front of another and keep walking through my treatments with Strength, Courage, and Determination.