I’ve adopted a new mantra these days: one more chemo to go, one more chemo to go, one more chemo to go….

I wish it was that easy, but it is not.

I had my second Taxotere infusion earlier this week. The outcome has been very emotionally trying to deal with. I got really sick again with low blood counts two days after treatment, which is earlier than was expected.

This is the third time in five chemo cycles that my blood counts have plummeted, even with blood booster medication. My body has gone through so many trials and tribulations with Taxotere. This is a brutal drug at work in my body.

Before my blood booster could be administered for several days (it starts on day 4 and ends on day 10 of each chemo cycle), I developed a fungal infection called Thrush, again, on chemo day three, and another fever and different infection on day four. Now Taxotere is giving me low blood counts. Again.

“Oh no,” I thought to myself. “Here comes 11 more hours of sitting in the Emergency Ward waiting to be seen.”

The oncologist on call was contacted, as is standard protocol when a chemo patient is running a fever after work hours or on weekends.

“What are your symptoms? How high is your fever?“ he queried. “Hmm, it’s a bit early for Thrush or a fever.”

“Yes, but I got Thrush on day 6 of the last Taxotere cycle, and a fever and infection on day 7.”

“Well, we‘d better deal with this. It sounds like an infection may be starting. We’re not going to put you through waiting in Emergency to be seen. But, you do need a prescription for some anti-biotics to start treating the infection“ he replied. “I will call a prescription into your pharmacy so that you can stay home and rest. Stay at home, rest, and avoid contact with people and crowds.”

I’ll take this small victory in not having to be seen in an Emergency Ward this time. There was no waiting to be seen for hours on end. Halleluiah! Thank you compassionate oncologist.

I’m getting more scared about Taxotere and its effect on my body. Every time my blood count dips, I am at great risk of infection as I have very few infection fighting blood cells. My last Taxotere infusion is on November 2. I hope it goes smoother than the first two.

I am trying to be brave over these next two weeks to get through the final chemo treatment. I do so with Strength, Courage, and Determination.