My surgery recovery is slower than I thought it would be. I am still quite weak and tired. I am bored, housebound, can’t drive yet, and am unable to do a whole lot as I rehabilitate. This is a radical change of pace for me.

Yesterday was a day of mild anxiety. Nearly three weeks have passed since my mastectomy. It was time to see my surgeon for a post–surgery follow up appointment.

Two bonuses came from the surgeon’s visit.

The first bonus was that the sentinel node that was removed during surgery underwent a post-surgery biopsy. The results re-confirmed that cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes. It was localized in the area where it was initially diagnosed. This is good news.

My surgeon also confirmed that the surgery biopsy results of carcinosarcoma of the breast were concurrent with the initial biopsy results that led to the mastectomy treatment.

The second bonus is that I finally had my surgical drain removed. What an instant relief that was. No more pulling and pinching with twinges of pain that the drain caused. I can now stand straighter as the pressure of the drain prevented me from doing so. Last night, I moved from three weeks of sleeping on a recliner to sleeping on a bed. I could finally experience a restful sleep.

My surgeon said that I might not be required to undergo chemotherapy and radiation. The cancer appears to have been self-contained in the lump that was removed with the mastectomy. The mastectomy biopsy results are now being sent by the surgeon to a medical oncologist for a second opinion to determine the next steps. I now am waiting a few weeks to see what will happen with my treatment.

During the visit, I was asked if I would give consent to have the removed tissue donated to medical research. I didn’t hesitate to sign the consent form. It’s my small way of helping medical researchers to study this rare form of breast cancer to learn more about it to the benefit of other future patients.

At this point, I am cautiously optimistic with the surgical biopsy results.

I am concerned about the uniqueness of carcinosarcoma as it can be resistant to chemotherapy and radiation treatments. It is also an aggressive form of cancer that can return and grow quickly.

I trust my surgeon’s expertise and that of the medical oncologist who will look at my results to determine the next steps. I suspect that if a patient does not need to go through chemotherapy and radiation, then they bypass these treatments. Time will tell what applies to me.

A “surgery only” step wasn’t one that I thought would be part of my treatment plan, given that my tumor was over three centimeters when it was removed. In pre-surgery medical visits with various members of my treatment team, I was told that chemo and or radiation are part of ridding your body of cancer. Mentally, I prepared myself for chemotherapy and possible radiation as they generally follows cancer surgery.

There is somewhat of a “security blanket” I feel with these other cancer treatments. They are preventative measures to ensure that any remnants of cancer are (temporarily) eliminated. I’m a bit apprehensive about the possibility that chemo and radiation may not be required.

If my treatment outcome does not include chemotherapy or radiation, I will be somewhat relieved. But, I will not forget that cancer will always be a part of my “new normal” life now. I know that I will have to be very vigilant in self-monitoring of my body for any potential cancer symptoms arising. I know that regular medical check-ups will now be part of monitoring for a cancer recurrence for the rest of my life.

For now, all is well. There are some surgical side effects that we’re watching in the next couple of weeks that include some post-surgery swelling, and restricted motion and strength in my arm. My daily post-surgery exercises are continuing as I try to improve the use of my arm. I may need to undergo some physiotherapy to regain full use of my arm.

I am learning to live one day at a time with a cancer diagnosis. I am learning to live with my “new normal” with Strength, Courage, and Determination.