Because breast cancer is a woman’s disease, I feel drawn in a special way to my sisterhood who are traveling with me on this journey. They are a definite boost in living with breast cancer.

Adhering to my surgeon’s advice, a group of “Warrior Women of the Amazon Tribe” has been formed of family members and friends who are helping me to fight breast cancer. I am the chief warrior of the tribe. (My kids reminded me that Amazon women warriors purposely removed one breast to help them reach their arrows more easily while at war.)

The “Women Warriors of the Amazon Tribe” are an amazing group of ladies--young, seasoned, and elderly. They have come into my life as family members, friends, and business partners who have become friends. All of these women are treasured for their friendships and the unique gifts that they each bring into my life.

One fellow warrior is a former boss who is a breast cancer survivor. She is mentoring me once again, this time in the mysteries of breast cancer treatments. The other women warriors range from women executives who work in business and not-for profits, entrepreneurs, a broadcast journalist, a financial planner, medical professionals, a wide range of business professionals, and my hairstylist.

I have a subtle, offbeat sense of humor. I would rather have laughter than sadness in fighting this disease. One of my wishes before my cancer treatments began was to have a party to honor these special women in my life, who have offered to surround me with their care in this cancer journey. My family fulfilled this wish.

The women warriors kicked off our breast cancer sisterhood with a “Bye Bye Boobie Bash.” For levity, my daughter and daughter-in-law presented me with a pink hard-hat and pink feather boa to greet my guests at the door. The warrior women spent several hours of fun amid laughter, tears, friendship, and fabulous food—of course!

The warmth, caring, kindness and humor of these Amazon women brings a smile to my face as I think about the party and their bolstering of my spirits. Their love resonates with warm memories to help me prepare me for my mastectomy and treatments that will follow. I know these Warrior Women will be there for me though the ups and downs that will be part of this journey.

I am also grateful for the many strong men who are who are also traveling with me on this cancer journey—as family members and friends. The gents provide different kinds of support from the gals, and they are fewer in number. The love, care, and support of male family and friends are just as appreciated as that of women, and critical to my team of cancer travelers.

Generally, guys want to do things for me to help in this journey. They’re also pragmatic and really good at asking the tough questions. They make me think about different aspects of the cancer journey than women do. Two of my male friends are also cancer survivors--their perspective comes with the wisdom of experiencing and managing a life-threatening disease.

The support and perspectives of friends of both sexes are needed, necessary, and appreciated. I am learning that my circle of caring has to be large as people each offer help in ways that is needed.

A book written by a cancer survivor that I finished reading yesterday confirmed this.

The author says that in her journey with cancer, she surrounded herself with people who could inform her about her illness, give her practical help with daily tasks, give her emotional support, affirm her as a person, and form a network of supporters who shared their concerns about her.