Last summer, our daughter arrived home after a Canada Day picnic announcing that she got engaged that day. Her wedding is this August. It is going on in the midst of cancer treatments.

One of the first questions people asked me after they heard of the cancer diagnosis was, “Is Marissa’s wedding still on this summer?” My answer was: “Why not? Life continues on in spite of a cancer diagnosis.” She and her fiancé have been planning a life together starting this summer. Her father and I will make their dream come true.

The wedding, and the bridal shower are something for me to look forward to and to occupy my time with. We will celebrate with aplomb! My teary-eyed daughter recently declared: “Mom, I don’t care if you come to the wedding with a wig and in a wheelchair. All that matters to me is that my mom will be there for me.” Enough said, tears shed by all of us.

We’re also going to savor the moments of her university convocation this June. She’s worked hard for the last four years to earn a degree in Rhetoric, Writing, Communications and Linguistics, which is worthy of celebration!


Our son has been away from the family nest for the last three years. Our daughter flies out this summer. We will officially be empty nesters.