I have been empowered from the very start to have a say in my cancer treatment. It began with my surgeon’s discussions on three treatment options to remove affected tissue. I am also rounding out my team of medical care givers who are traveling with me on this journey that were referred to me through programs and services under our care cancer care provider.

The care team so far includes my family doctor, a radiologist, two pathologists, and my breast cancer surgeon who currently heads up the active medical care team. There is also a breast cancer centre surgery nurse educator, a breast health nurse educator (I am learning a whole new language of medical terminology she is interpreting), a breast cancer nutritionist, a psychosocial oncology social worker, and a cancer chaplain.

In the months to come they will be joined by a medical (sarcoma) oncologist who will take over primary responsibility for my treatment from the surgeon, along with an oncology nurse who will be my main liaison to the treatment team. Others on the team will also include an oncology pharmacist, treatment technicians, and potentially a physiotherapist and occupational therapist.